Tuesday 12 May 2009

12th May 2009

Reached the lakes on my bike sometime before 7 am and stayed for roughly 3 hours. I managed to count up to 16 Common Terns and 42+ Swifts; and at Windmill Pool saw a Common Sandpiper and the Mute Swan.

I spent the rest of the morning looking at the ponds and nature reserve at Dickens Heath. Some "twit, t-woo" calls were heard coming from some trees, but all I could see was a Jay there, so I reckon it was imitating. My best sighting of the day was undoubtedly a Garden Warbler (lifer!), which I saw singing from trees along the Stratford-upon-Avon canal at the edge of this "village".

I was out on my bike again during the afternoon, hoping a Garganey that had been reported at Lower Bittell Reservoir (Worcestershire) was still there but there was no sign of it. Disappointed, I returned to Earlswood Lakes but 2 Grey Wagtails were the only birds present that I hadn't seen earlier.

M.P. Griffiths

No comments: