Sunday 8 November 2009

8th November 2009

Cycled to Earlswood during the early morning, but the lakes were pretty quiet. The White-cheeked Pintail was the only notable bird on show near the causeway, with a juvenile/first-winter Mute Swan, a Treecreeper and a Lesser Redpoll seen at Terry's Pool.

John Yardley called asking if I wanted to go birding elsewhere, so pedalled back home to meet him there. We got drenched with pretty heavy rain, but met Warwickshire bird recorder Jon Bowley (nice to meet you) and had glimpses of Jack Snipe in flight, a new species for me but unfortunately they were little more than silhouettes through my wet bins, but I'm sure there'll be other opportunities to see them again. I think Jon told me that someone had once claimed to have seen a tropicbird at Earlswood - it was a Common Tern!

M.P. Griffiths


Later, during the afternoon, Kevin Bates saw 2 Mute Swans at the lakes at c. 3:45 pm.

No comments: