Thursday 18 June 2009

18th June 2009

Cycled to Earlswood during the late afternoon and saw that there were 7 terns at the lakes, most over Engine Pool. I thought they'd all be the usual Common Terns, and indeed 6 were - the other was an Arctic Tern!!! Seeing one in the midlands at this time of year is unusual, as they're normally seen on passage, but I was able to watch it for a long time and see all of the distinguishing features so am 100% sure of its ID. Arctic Terns have been reported at Earlswood on a number of occasions this year, although that doesn't mean all were correctly identified (I'm still a little suspicious as I never connected with any of the reported birds, though I'm told they don't stay long at sites during passage). Another bird unusual for Earlswood at this time of year was a Sand Martin also seen over Engine Pool. Other birds observed were 60+ Swifts over lakes, 2 Common Whitethroats around Terry's Pool and 1 Reed Warbler at Engine Pool. I thought I saw a raptor, possibly a Hobby, distantly for a split-second passing the engine house from Engine Pool, but very unsure about it.
M.P. Griffiths

P.S. I only reported the Arctic Tern to Brian Stretch (West Midlands Birding). So who reported it on BirdGuides on the 19th as seen today (18th)?! Did you see it yourself?

No comments: