Monday 10 August 2009

10th August 2009

There was no sign of the Black Tern when I visited the lakes during the late morning. At Engine Pool, a Mute Swan was still on the water but when I looked closely at one of the reed islands I saw the white feathers of probably a second bird which I think I noted earlier last month in exactly the same place when I last saw two there - if this is an incubating bird, they're rather late breeding. Also, the two birds on the water a while back both had a few grey-brown feathers indicating first-summers, which would further make this breeding unusual (though maybe an adult pair could've chased them off and quickly nested?). At Terry's Pool, saw a Greylag Goose amongst a flock of Canada Geese, and a Kingfisher (perched and showing well). Again, I came back along Wood Lane and saw flocks of c. 30 Swallows, 22 Starlings, 6 Pied Wagtails and 3 Linnets - this lane has been pretty good for birds lately.
M.P. Griffiths

No comments: