Wednesday 5 August 2009

5th August 2009

During the early afternoon, saw a flock of 30+ House Sparrows near the Red Lion pub. At the lakes, noted 7 Common Terns. Also seen were 3 Great Crested Grebe chicks, an adult Moorhen with a large chick and a probable Sparrowhawk carrying prey at Windmill Pool; and a Mute Swan still at Engine Pool. Went in Earlswood Moathouse NR for the first time in ages, but was unable to check the whole area because it was very muddy in places and didn't see anything notable. Saw a flock of 22 Starlings near Springbrook Lane, and a Sparrowhawk and a Collared Dove along Small Lane (near Terry's Green). At Forshaw Heath, saw a Muntjac Deer (in the road!) and a Kestrel but there was no sign of the large House Sparrow flock there. I believe the Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and Collared Dove were the first that I've seen at those parts of Earlswood, no doubt down to the fact that I don't pass over the railway line regularly to check out the Forshaw Heath, Biddles Hill and Terry's Green areas - areas which I will try to visit more often if I can from now on. Problem is I don't find the Earlswood recording area easy to cover thoroughly, even on the bike, and there are a few areas that I'd still like to visit before this summer is over.
M.P. Griffiths

P.S. Butterfly numbers in and near my garden are increasing. On the 2nd, I noted 7 Painted Lady, 5 Peacock and 3 Small Tortoiseshell. Then on the 3rd I managed 9+ species, namely 10 Painted Lady, 15 Peacock, 3 Small Tortoiseshell, 3 Comma, 1 Red Admiral, 1 Meadow Brown, 1 Gatekeeper, 1 Speckled Wood and unidentified whites.

No comments: