Wednesday 12 August 2009

12th August 2009

A Sparrowhawk visited my garden for 6-8 minutes during the early afternoon, attracted to my mom's aviary as is often the case here.

A late afternoon visit to the lakes produced 7+ Common Terns, with a Tufted Duck and a Kingfisher at Windmill Pool, and a Mute Swan still on the water at Engine Pool. Giving Terry's Pool a miss, I proceeded on to Earlswood STW where I counted 11 Grey Wagtails on the filter beds (beating my previous record of 8 there last month). I then finished off at Forshaw Heath, where the largest field there had recently been harvested and had attracted hundreds of birds, amongst which I managed to pick out a Greylag Goose, 4+ Stock Doves, 1 Feral Pigeon and 2+ Rooks.

Coming home along Dickens Heath Road, saw a Muntjac Deer cross over and enter Big Dickens Wood - the second I've seen in the local area this month!

M.P. Griffiths

1 comment:

Reg Telescope said...

I think it's a good time to see deer now.

I've not seen one around these parts this year, but have seen muntjacs around Wythall in previous years.