Friday 17 April 2009

17th April 2009

In the morning, walked to Earlswood to meet John Yardley to go to Upton Warren (Worcestershire). Whilst walking along Norton Lane, heard an owl-like call twice from trees but I can't quite remember exactly how it sounded other than that it began with "wr" - certainly wasn't a Tawny Owl.
John brought me back to Earlswood, and from c. 3:50-4:30 pm I saw 4 Common Terns (certainly not like the Arctics I saw at Upton Warren) and 3 Swallows at the lakes.
Back at home I saw "Arctic Tern, Earlswood Lakes" plotted on the BirdGuides BirdMap, and saw that the bird(s) were seen at 5:05 pm, so crazily (I was a bit tired) I cycled back to the lakes hoping to add the species to my Earlswood list. I got there just after 7 pm to see what I thought were 2 Common Terns, though they never rested on the buoys near the causeway and the lighting wasn't good.
M.P. Griffiths

P.S. Thanks to John, I managed 13 lifers (!) at Upton Warren, which were Gadwalls, Shelducks, Avocets, Ringed Plover, Little Ringed Plovers, Dunlins, Redshanks, Snipes, Yellow Wagtails, Sedge Warbler(s), Cetti's Warblers, 3 definite Arctic Terns and an adult Little Gull. What a place!

1 comment:

midlands birder said...

told you youll get hooked