Thursday 28 January 2010

28th January 2010

Goodness knows what I've missed in the previous four days, but as this afternoon's visit was quite good I've a bad feeling... Anyway, today I saw a male Wigeon, 4 Goosanders and a Kingfisher at Terry's Pool, plus a Kestrel and 2 Stock Doves flew over. Along the footpath from Malthouse Lane to Windmill Pool, saw a Goldcrest and 45 Starlings. Windmill Pool was quiet, apart from a flock of 13 Pied Wagtails that appeared as it started to rain very lightly - probably my best count at this time of year for the species. I later found that the Wigeon had moved to Engine Pool, and at c. 4:20 pm 6 Greylag Geese flew in and landed on the water - made my heart rate increase at first, knowing that a Pink-foot had been seen elsewhere in Warwickshire recently, but still a personal site record count. I met the lady who feeds the ducks regularly, and she told me that the Coot I'd found stuck at Windmill Pool earlier this month was rescued (as I thought) but sadly the bird was put down.

Kevin Bates sent me this pic taken by John Sheppard at Terry's Pool last week, saying he was "struggling to identify one of the birds". I'm not sure of the exact species, but I know it hasn't occurred in Warwickshire for many, many years! Click on the pic to enlarge it.


M.P. Griffiths

Edit: just noticed there's two in the pic!

No comments: